Monday 18 February 2013

My first experience of "Book signing"


On Saturday 16th February my writers’ group hosted our first book signing at Chelmsford library in Essex. I say first signing, that is because I hope it was the first of many.

Our first anthology, “The other way is Essex,” was released late last year. It is available on kindle and paperback. It is a collection of poems and short stories highlighting the great things about Essex. I am proud to have been able to be a part of it, and am exceptionally pleased with the finished piece.

The signing was from 10-1, and the time went far too quickly. We sold 17 copies of the anthology, and a few of the members sold copies of their own novels and poetry collections. All profits from sales goes to Farleigh Hospice, a charity very close to my heart as they took care of my father in his final stages of cancer.

We are starting work on a new anthology at the moment. It is aimed at 6-10 year olds and the subject we were given was “Creepy House.” I have submitted a poem and a short story. We are on a tight deadline this time as we are aiming to have the book out before the summer book read starts in the Essex libraries.

 Essex book festival launch is on 1st march. I will be helping out at that for a few hours and we will be selling the anthology as well as setting some writing challenges for the public.

I have had an amazing time since joining my writers’ group “Writebulb.” It has grown a lot in the time I have been going, (I joined in January 2012, as my new year’s resolution!) Every month seems to bring new members with it, all bringing their own contribution to the group. Everyone wants different things, some want to publish novels, some write just for fun and some are not sure exactly what they want but are learning a lot as they go along.
It has been a lot of fun .If you are not a member of a group, I suggest you look into joining one, or if that is not possible you could start your own!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment