Tuesday 11 June 2013

Review of 'THE FALL'


For the past five weeks I have been glued to the TV every Monday night by ‘The Fall.’ The first two episodes in particular were so intense that they left me buzzing for days, unable to think about anything else.

I am writing my first novel, a Thriller including a serial killer, at the moment. My character is very different to Paul Spector, but I found it inspirational and helpful with my own book. For one thing it taught me that I had to give my Antagonist a really great job! The Bereavement Councillor Job given to Spector is pure genius.

I was so hooked on the storyline surrounding Spector that the other subplot went over my head; I will have to watch it all again so I can take that in too.

I have read some of the articles surrounding the programme and know that it has evoked criticism about the level of violence against women. As a female viewer there are things I would have done differently if I had written it.

I think if you are going to have a serial killer targeting women you have to make the viewer sympathetic towards the victims. The Sarah Kay murder I found intensely brilliant. I found his bizarre ritual with her dead body insane but I loved it. She came across as a strong character in life, caring and intelligent. So why did Annie’s character have to have a seedy side? It reduces the sympathy the viewer feels for her and I think that if you are going to have violent scenes against women you have to feel sympathy for them.

I would also have changed the character of Katie. I would not have made her such a Lolita. She could still have the crush on Paul but she could be less forceful.
Stella Gibson’s character is a bit over the top too. Was it really necessary for her to have her buttons undone while being interviewed, or rubbing marks off her boobs while talking to men?
I really loved Sally Spector’s character. She had an amazing Job, was caring and innocent. Why did they have to have her initiating rough sex with her husband after he had admitted to an affair? She was the perfect character, why ruin it? It makes it look as if the writers are trying to say that all women want it rough.
One thing I found strange in the final part was Spector lying about having an affair with Katie, a fifteen year old, when he could have made up anyone else instead. You have more chance of your wife forgiving an affair with a grown woman than a child. Why would he decide portraying himself as a paedophile would be the best option?
I am not sure how they are going to manage another series involving Spector. I will be looking forward to it and I hope that they learn from the mistakes in series one. It has the potential to be amazing if it could only be more considerate to the female viewer.
 Flashing Jamie’s topless body isn’t enough, not that I’m complaining you understand!

No comments:

Post a Comment