Thursday 27 June 2013

The Tension is Building


I am really excited by my Novel at the moment. I have been working on it for approximately 3 years so the fact it is having this effect on me now is a surprise.

I was really excited when I first started writing the first draft. What was in my head blew me away but it didn’t look so good by the time it had travelled through my fingers and onto the page. This was due to my lack of skill in the use of words back then. The first draft looked childish to me.

Since then I have joined a writing group, which has proved invaluable with critique and support. I have also met other writers around the world via Facebook groups and Twitter. Then there are the books I have read and the TV that I have watched that have inspired me.
I am on the third draft and it is starting to really take shape. I was struggling with a really important scene in Chapter Three, the moment that the Serial Killer/ Stalker seduces the female lead who he has been watching for months. He has planned it down to the last detail and I wanted it to be intense, but my previous effort was a bit flat and boring.

I decided to put a call for help on a few Facebook groups. I asked for opinions about how she would smell, feel etc. It came up with some mixed responses. You could tell the people who enjoyed reading Thrillers; they embraced it and used vivid description. The others seemed to be scared by the question. It was a fun experience and gave me loads to work on.

I have written that scene this morning and I love it! It has also made me realise things about my characters that I didn’t know before. I now have loads of new ideas for the rest of the book. My characters are much more alive now and if that is how I feel hopefully future readers will feel the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment