Friday 2 December 2011

Born To Write

I believe i was born to be a writer.
Everyone in my opinion has something that they dream of being when they are young, but very few follow their dreams.
I knew from an early age i wanted to write. I obsessed over books. I had an overactive imagination. I even tried to make my own using folded paper that my Mum sewed along the fold.
I can`t remember a time when i didn`t think about someday being a Novelist.
Writing is something that takes practice. my early attempts were not great and it was hard not to question my ability to actually write a full manuscript.
I took on a writing class aged 22 and the tutor told me i didn`t want to write novels! I should stick with short stories. I started to wonder if she was right.
After my parents died aged 62 & 60 i started to panic. Life can be short and i wouldn`t want to regret not following my goals.
About 4 years ago a story was buzzing in my head. It was playing out like a film, and i realised i had lots of material for a novel. I wrote a one page  synopsis then started writing the novel. It was a short first draft, but i finished it. The only problem was i had a problem with killing one of my characters so i have not edited it.
Since then after a few plots that didn`t work i started work on my present story. It is a psychological thriller and i have a sequel planned.
I tried NaNoWriMo this year and although i didn`t win i learned alot. I am now excited about finishing my novel.
I set a goal to be published by age 40 and i will be 39 in 3 weeks, I need to get moving!

1 comment:

  1. Best of luck hun :)

    And writing has been my life. I live to write, more than breathing or eating or anything else :p

    ReplyDelete