Wednesday 21 December 2011

Writing a whole novel!

A very daunting thing to do. A whole novel with killer beginning and ending, subplots, twists and turns.
I always used to be a pantser, starting with a basic idea and writing away with no idea where i was going.
I should have known it wasn`t right for me, I am a planner in every other part of my life.
The first novel i actually completed was a romance. It was going round in my head like a film. After about a month of it running over and over i realised it was a fully formed plot. I wrote out a synopsis and started work on it. Six months later it was finished, though a little short at barely 50,000 words. It had some seriously bad writing in there but it was a complete story, still to be edited!
I am a daydreamer and my brain never shuts up! I laugh to myself, talk to myself and can cry when my characters do. I have found the best thing to do is put headphones on so people think something you are listening to is the cause rather than the fact i am stark raving mad!
I have had a full story pop into my head while riding on my bike, complete with characters. They don`t come when it is convenient though.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Carol! Loved your post. It is a daunting prospect writing a novel and a huge achievement to write one in 6 months! I relate to what you are saying. I also cry when my characters cry. Thanks for sharing and good luck with your writing:0)

    ReplyDelete